At the Sun Life Financial group of companies, we are committed to protecting your personal information. As a customer, we can best serve you when we have a complete understanding of your financial needs and can offer you products and services tailored to meet them. Managing the information you provide to us as part of that process is at the root of our successful operations. We have a long history of protecting that information in a professional and appropriate manner.
We are in the business of maintaining long-term relationships with our customers. We recognize that an important aspect of our relationship is having comprehensive knowledge of our customers and their needs, which is why we are committed to protecting the confidentiality of our customers' personal information. To that end, we are pleased to share with you the following principles which reflect our commitment to safeguarding our customers' personal information.
- We keep your personal information and the business you do with us in strict confidence.
- We collect, use or disclose personal information from you only to provide you with financial and insurance products and services to help you meet your lifetime needs.
- We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly.
- We do not disclose personal information without your permission except in limited circumstances as permitted or required by law. But we may share personal information with agents or service providers in connection with providing, administering and servicing the products you purchase from us.
- We maintain appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information in our possession is accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not accurate.
- You may access your personal information, subject to limited exceptions and conditions.
- Where we choose to have certain services, such as data processing, provided by third party providers, we do so in accordance with applicable law and take all reasonable precautions regarding the practices employed by the service provider to protect your personal information.
- We maintain appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We do not sell your personal information.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file used by a Web server to store information in your browser's temporary memory or on your computer. Cookies cannot access other information or files from your computer. There are two types of cookies - a session cookie and a permanent cookie. A session cookie (sometimes referred to as a transient cookie) is erased when you close your Internet browser and leave our website. A "permanent cookie" is a file that remains on your computer when you close your Internet browser. Permanent cookies have expiry dates and will automatically be deleted from your computer after their expiry date or alternatively you can clear your stored cookies via your browser preferences on your computer. A permanent cookie can be read only by the website that created the cookie when you visit that site again. We use both session cookies and permanent cookies within our websites.
Why are cookies used?
Cookies are very common, with many organizations electing to use them to gather data regarding how visitors explore their websites - information such as how many new visitors there are, how many repeat visitors there are, how many sections or pages of the website a visitor explores and so forth. Organizations use the information gathered by cookies to modify their websites to improve their website's performance and functionality.
Cookies have the ability to identify a visitor, if the visitor has used a website's login feature.With a permanent cookie your login ID would be stored in an encrypted format on your computer, so that the next time you visit the website you would be recognized when you sign in. This enables the website to recall your preferences and provide a more customized experience.
What are your options regarding cookies?
You have the ability to decide whether you want to accept all cookies, reject all cookies or simply be notified when a cookie will be created. To do this you need to alter your browser preferences. Since the procedure for altering preferences varies by browser you should check the 'Help' menu of your browser to learn how to alter your cookie preferences.
For more information
For more information, please contact Sun Life Financial's Privacy Officer in Canada at (416) 408-8850 or by email at email@example.com.